lvu submit code changes

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 27 14:13:28 UTC 2005

Hi all,

because I get the idea that the 'lvu submit' code actually works and
people are happy to use it, I've made some changes to the code that
require some explanation. Read and you will see how easy it will be to
edit your own module changes:

Step 1: - copy a module to zlocal for editing

Suppose there is a new module out for module arpwatch. You'd have to
figure out in which section this module sits, edit the module file,
submit it etc. This can now be done easier with 'lvu edit':

$ lvu edit arpwatch
Copied "arpwatch" from "net"
Edit your module in "/var/lib/lunar/moonbase/zlocal/arpwatch"

You can now jump straight to that directory or use

$ lvu cd arpwatch

Step 2: make your changes

Make sure you *test* your module afterwards by linning it. Check 'lvu
install $MODULE' and look if all files look installed OK. Make sure it
works too, by running the application.

Step 3: submitting your changes

$ lvu submit arpwatch

You are presented an e-mail-template. Edit the From: line and insert an
email address that is valid. You can edit the information in the
template to signify whether a module is a new module, update or security
update etc. Currently the default is to submit the modules to the lunar@
mailinglist. Until we have a submission handler you will need to be
subscribed to this mailinglist to actually do a submission.

Step 4: remove your local changes

You might want to make sure you don't actually downgrade your module by
doing a 'lunar hold $MODULE'. This will postpone any update and make
sure you keep your local version installed. Once you see the update in
moonbase you should remove your local copy immediately and verify that
your changes have arrived properly in moonbase:

$ lvu unedit arpwatch
Removed "arpwatch" from "zlocal"
$ lin -c arpwatch

Done! Thank you for contributing!