server abuse -> IP blocking

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu May 26 10:12:04 UTC 2005

Jens Luedicke wrote:

>Hi ...
>
>6 GB of partial downloads!?
>
>any specific user agents like d4x or prozilla?

That's the problem, the ones that I find use generic user agent strings
that look like IE5 or even mozilla, so I cannot specifically block
user-agents directly, the amount of false positives would be way too
high, or I would not catch people at all. (Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3
for instance!!!)

The current blocking algorithm blocks people after they have been found
to cause too many interrupted downloads, this seems to work faily well:
I've blocked about 30 people with it this morning and it's now done
automatically.

sofar