Which optimization for x86-64

larry larry at scrudgeware.org
Wed May 18 03:27:57 UTC 2005

Hey Dennis,
   Sorry for the delayed response.  I'll answer your questions inline.

Dennis Veatch wrote:

> 1. The build order. Is it this way -
>
> x86_64_binutils
> x86_64_gcc
> x86_64_kernel-headers-2.6
> x86_64_glibc
> x86_64_linux-2.6

Yeah, it's that way, but you can just use "lin x86_64_linux-2.6" and the
  dependencies will take care of themselves.

> 2. Before building those do I need to run "lunar" and change any of the
> optimizations?

These modules completely override lunar optimizations.  It's just
intended build a "temp" kernel, not an optimized one.

> 3. I'm using the 1.5.0 pre iso and did lin theedge before doing anything else.
> Will that cause a problem?

it shouldn't.  I'm getting ready to test it myself.

> 4. Moritz mentioned "-m64" is needed to get a real 64 bit environment. Is that
> the case with your module?

I'm not sure about the "-m64" option.  But these scripts do create 64
bit kernel w/out it.  read the BUILD files for more info.  I think it's
the ARCH variable that does it for the kernel.

> 5. Once x86_64_linux-2.6 is built and boots successfully are there additional
> steps needed for a 64 bit environment?

Well ... yeah,  You have to completely recompile your system.  This may
be were the -m64 option might come in handy.  All this set of modules
does is give you a kernel that can run 32 and 64 bit binaries.  It's
just the first step on the journey.