Which optimization for x86-64

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 13 14:39:21 UTC 2005

Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On Friday 13 May 2005 10:14 am, Jon South wrote:

>>It should also be noted that by using those opts, it's still only going
>>to be 32 bit. To force compiling 64 bit requires -m64 -- but that wont
>>do you any good with a 32 bit kernel... At the moment, it's not worth
>>the effort to try and compile 64 bit apps until we get a 64 bit ISO
>>going for it, and even then, it will take some effort to create and to
>>maintain.
>>
>>-Striker
>
> Where in the optimizations would I insert "-m64"?

Nowhere unless you really want a non-working system. 64 bit is
unsupported, and I have no intention of helping you break your system.
You need to research how 64bit is actually implemented and assess
whether you can actually do it on your system. There are many apps that
will not work in a 64bit environment; and you can't just 'jump' to 64bit
when your system was compiled as 32bit already.

-Striker

--
The system requirements said "Windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux.

Microsoft sells you Windows; Linux gives you the house.

v2sw6CUhw5ln4pr5$FPck4ma6/7u8LFw5TXm5l8O$i5e5+7t4TMNSDRAVXb3HOTen6g8+9ZASHCMPa22s6SMr2p6/7
www.hackerkey.com

Registered Linux User: 332618
<http://striker.interhact.net/striker.asc>