lunar and 64 bit processors

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Wed May 11 03:14:06 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 08:00 am, Auke Kok wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> >Anyone running Lunar of an AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ with the hypertransport
> > stuff? Thinking about a new machine with the following;
> >
> >AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ with the hypertransport
> >ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe PCI-E RAID SATA 2xGLAN (Sock-939)
> >DDR400 2GB
> >SATA West Dig. 36.7GB Raptor
> >PCI-Express ASUS N6600GT/TD/128 SLI 128MB
> >
> >Any known gotchas to be aware of? I think the biggest problem will be
> > during the install and the SATA. I don't think Sexyboy has the drivers
> > for it. Will the 1.5.0pre2 test ISO have any problems with an install and
> > SATA?
>
> I've got an ati iiiiiiix7 here and 1.5.0pre2 installs just fine on the
> attached SATA disk! the 2.4.29+ kernels have much better SATA support
> than many people think. They forgot that since 2.4.29 the entire libata
> driver was pretty much backported. In any case you should definately try
> the precompiled/iso kernels on the 1.5.0pre2 iso and let us know how
> your hardware works!
>
> from there on you can always just to a 2.6 kernel once you're
> bootstrapped and network ready.
>
> sofar

Ok, couldn't wait and drove to Dayton and got the stuff. The only change from
the list above was they had no 3200+, so I went with the 3500+.

So fired the thing up with the 1.5.0pre2 and went through several false
starts. The most irritating was the screen display. When I was at the menus
to choose something it displayed fine. But when choosing to create the
partitions and picking any of the 3 choices (cfdisk, etc) the lower 3rd of
the display would not show up. The samething happened when it got to the part
about creating the file systems on the partitions. This was just using the
default 80x25 that I have used countless times before. So after several WTF's
and kicking a few brain cells. I tried vga=791 when booting the kernel and
cfdisk would display normally and I could see the commands at the bottom of
the screen to write, quit ,etc.

Now the question is what programs won't compile when I choose "Athlon" for
optimization?