gdm stuff

Remco Lubbers remsys at linux-adept.nl
Tue May 10 18:07:43 UTC 2005

Folks,

I had some trouble lin-ing gdm in a terminal-emulator. It ended up
hanging my system and after a cold-reboot gdm seemed to be installed
correctly, since it allowed me to login grafficly, but:

root at ws-remco ~ # lvu version gdm
2.6.0.8
root at ws-remco ~ # lvu installed gdm
gdm is not installed
root at ws-remco ~ # locate gdm | grep bin
/usr/bin/gdm
/usr/bin/gdm-binary
/usr/bin/gdmchooser
/usr/bin/gdmflexiserver
/usr/bin/gdmgreeter
/usr/bin/gdmlogin
/usr/bin/gdmphotosetup
/usr/bin/gdmsetup
/usr/bin/gdmthemetester
/usr/bin/gdmXnest
/usr/bin/gdmXnestchooser
/usr/sbin/gdmconfig
/usr/sbin/gdm-restart
/usr/sbin/gdm-safe-restart
/usr/sbin/gdm-stop
/usr/src/gdm-2.6.0.8/daemon/gdm-binary
/var/run/gdm-binary.pid

I had to relin from runlevel 3 in order to get everyting right.

So maybe it should check if gdm is being installed within one of it's
sessions and prevent that from hanging the system by either not
restarting lin or not allowing to be linned at all...

Another problem installing the latest gdm on another system is that
docbook-sgml v 4.3 can't be installed:
lget	docbook-sgml	4.3	failed	broken URL:
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/sgml/4.3/docbook-4.3.zip"

and thus gdm can't be updated (?). On the systems that it did work on,
docbook-sgml is held:
remco at ws-remco ~ $ lvu info docbook-sgml
General Module Info
  Name: 	 docbook-sgml
  Website:	 http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/sgml/4.3/index.shtml
  Lunar Version: 4.3