I surrender -> gdm shutdown bugs etc.

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Mon May 9 13:03:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:35:00 +0200 (CEST)
Stefan Wold <ratler at lunar-linux.org> wrote:

> I have around 200 clients that I operate here at Stockholm
> University, and they all run Lunar. Only difference is that we make
> our own moonbase freezes and only make updates that are of security
> concerns.
>
> This way we are rarely hit by any new moonbase related bugs (because
> it wasn't properly tested). And well maybe it do help that I'm a
> developer and know some of the common quirks around Lunar. We aren't
> perfect, but most source distros have similar problems. I'm sure we
> will be able to improve many of those areas, but all changes take
> some time, everything can't be done over a night.

Adding, we already have been thinking about a sort of stable moonbase
apart from the svn repository .. its just that currently, the ISO and
the remaining alias related bugs do have a higher priority than
anything else.

The outline structure would be that anyone who wants to live on the
edge goes for svn directly even using the regular coretools (now that
WebDAV http access is provided) or rely on a stable moonbase that is
put together out of well-tested 'signed-off' parts .. like the kernel
developers do it currently.

That would ...

a) Give our current users the possibility to go either way .. stay with
the latest changes or wait until they're properly tested
(Which, of course, is done anyway .. just not as efficient as it should
be)

b) Give us and our users the room for testing out the latest changes
and report bugs more effectively and economicly valuable resulting in a
broader and better user acceptance. Even today you can do that already
by using 'lvu submit'.

c) Draw more attention t'wards lunar .. and not our bugs ;-)

So .. you see, there is a lot going on .. and lunar is going to make
progress. The timetable is just somewhat tight.

ISO -> Alias bugs -> anything else

Regards,

Moritz