I surrender -> gdm shutdown bugs etc.

Remco Lubbers remsys at linux-adept.nl
Sat May 7 12:52:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:12:22 -0500, Paul Norton said:

> On 5/6/05, Auke Kok <sofar at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>  > Remco Lubbers wrote:
>  > > More and more flaws in moonbase make my users/clients unhappy, which
>  > > does keep me up at night (trying to fix things). Most recent problem:
>  > > cups/gs stopped working after a 'lunar update', that ended up looping
>  > > on the alias-problem. Another new one: gdm is no longer able to shut
>  > > down the system. Those combined with the nfs-not-mounting-at-boottime
>  > > and the tacky runlevel-switcher no longer make lunar useable as a
>  > > workstation-OS.

>  He's actually using Lunar on a workstation for users/clients?

I am! And have been for over a year now, might be 2 already!

>  Good god man, make your life harder why dont you.

Hmmm, well I must say, I has never been a problem, not even for users
that don't have any experience with Linux. And we use just about
everything that would be needed in an Office environment: Office-Suit,
browsers, MP3 players, mailclients, DTP, programming etc etc.

Problems started some 2 weeks ago with GDM not being able to shutdown
the system, that makes mouse-oriented users grumpy and now the
cups-thing is a really big issue.

Of course, we only use XFce, which limits problems a lot.
We had a few minor problems getting multi-head VGA cards to run
properly on XOrg, but that had nothing to do with Lunar itself. And
getting the soundcards to work was difficult for me as well, since I
don't know too much about that stuff. Things like that are made very
easy by the commercial distro's and that makes people like me lazy in
getting it to run properly yourself. None of these problems however
stood in the way of the people working on their system: you can work
with 1 monitor as well and no sound is good for your concentration ;-)

Remco