I surrender -> gdm shutdown bugs etc.

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 6 20:20:50 UTC 2005

Remco Lubbers wrote:
> More and more flaws in moonbase make my users/clients unhappy, which
> does keep me up at night (trying to fix things). Most recent problem:
> cups/gs stopped working after a 'lunar update', that ended up looping
> on the alias-problem. Another new one: gdm is no longer able to shut
> down the system. Those combined with the nfs-not-mounting-at-boottime
> and the tacky runlevel-switcher no longer make lunar useable as a
> workstation-OS.

I'm not gonna startup a huge discussion now but I'll report on on thing
at a time: the gdm issue was reported upstream by me and was confirmed as
a genuine bug in the latest gdm release (yes, really). I just added a fix
to moonbase. I'm sorry about not doing this earlier... but in all
honesty, it's not up to me to maintain gnome as well, and this is clearly
a point where developers need to test their code better, and do something
about it.

The cups issue is a new one to me. If you have more detailed information
then please report.

I've seen your nfs mounts report and am clueless. The init.d order of
portmap (11) and netmount (15) is correct. If these match with the
chkconfig order on your system, then possily a kernel nfs version
mismatch might be happening. BTW, I advice everyone to use v3 and tcp
connections, which prove much more stable.

> On the server-side there's mainly the php-compile problem using the
> with-readline option (which is standard in the php4-BUILD).

I believe that openssl also linked against readline and that this leads
to a tangle of readline symbols and versions, I know it's a mess, and
this is where a source distro as lunar will probably never get things
right since we always link against active libraries, and not to ones in a
buildjail.

 > But Perl is another problem (rather anoying).

And Python had almost joined the club. Well, it has actually. These two
languages keep a mess of local modules in between system-wide
from-the-base-package. The Python module should be reasonably cleaned up
right now, but in order to fix the perl module, some more magic is
needed. One of the required changes for this was a code enhancement in
the core that I needed for something else. With a bit of luck I can
incorporate this in the perl module and automate (some of) the upgrades a
lot better.

one bug at a time...

sofar