new optimizations for lunar - part1

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed May 4 15:09:11 UTC 2005

Zbigniew Łuszpiński wrote:

>>On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:32:14AM +0200, Auke Kok wrote:
>>..
>>

>>>- the '-freorder-blocks' looks interesting, however I don't think there
>>>are many people who use -Os or -O1 optimization right now, so the
>>>usability is low again. However for the ISO's it might be of use, or
>>>anyone who's experimenting with smaller but still optimized code.
>>>

>>I use -Os ;-) Never noticed much of a difference though. In case anyone was
>>interested in that information...
>>

>I also use -Os, people says we are in minority:
>
>"- the '-freorder-blocks' looks interesting, however I don't think there
>are many people who use -Os or -O1 optimization right now, so the
>usability is low again."
>
>Time to organize and fight to protect our little laws :-) :-P :-D
>
>But to be serious:
>Sofar has right. Messing menu with useless options is bad. But the additional
>function -freorder-blocks does not take much space in configuration menu
>window. So why throwing it away? This function is optional - anyone can turn
>it on/off. There is no so much options worth of adding to menu, I only know 2
>more , they are not gcc options but passed to code being compilated.
>

>>I still think it would be much better to have only optimization level, arch
>>and linker options and have a freeform entry for additional options some
>>(crazy) people would like.
>>

>I think that optimization wizard should be still available but at the end it
>should display freeform with chosen options allowing to add/remove/modify
>before saving finally. Newbies will simply save as it is, gcc optimization
>maniacs will put all their crazyness into the freeform and then save.
>

>>	Jasper
>>

>thanks, Jasper, for additional ideas :-) They look interesting and worth
>implementing.
>
>zbiggy

Actually the whole discussion spurred me to rewrite the optimizations a
bit more. I've committed the code ( including -freorder-blocks!! ;^) )
to 'theedge' so go ahead and try the new 'lunar optimize' menu (lin
theedge first). Hopefully it's a bit more attractive and most of all:
the menu flow is now not enforced, which means that if you don't bother
to set specific options, the safe defaults are used.

I intend to add an extra option to this menu: "Safe", which will disable
all non-safe options and set the optimizations to something sane as
well. That should help a lot of worrying people.

sofar

PS: it looks like this: http://exchange.esa.int/~auke/opts.png