lunar on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Mar 11 15:40:20 UTC 2005

On 11 Mar 2005 at 10:42, Moritz Heiber wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:49:08 -0700
> "Richard Pyne" <rpyne at kinfolk.org> wrote:
>
> > Then came the fun of moving to the 2.6 kernel (suggestion, make
> > the udev module create the /sys directory, it would have saved
> > me several hours). Under the 2.6 kernel, the kernel included b44
> > dirver works for the internal NIC, but the wifi still requires
> > ndiswrapper and windows driver.
>
> Have you read the '2.6 migration howto'?
>
> http://lunar-linux.org/?q=node/view/24

Only about 30 times. I have found no mention of the need for the
/sys mount point that is needed by sysfs.

> > Now for the request for help. I have spent most of today trying
> > to figure out how to configure X11 to utilize the capabilities
> > of my video system. The graphics controller is an Intel 915GM
> > and the monitor is a 15.4 inch WXGA with a resolution of 1280 x
> > 800. It looks like what I am getting is a stretched 1024 x 768.
>
> Have you run xorgconfig or something similiar to configure your laptop's
> XOrg yet?

Again, about 15 times, and all I can succeed at doing is getting
it so X won't run. According to all the information I can find,
I should be using the i810 driver (it includes support for the
915GM chip), but every time I configure it, it get an error
message:

(EE) I810(0): No valid FB address in PCI config space

and/or:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

In reading the log after bringing up X using the automatic
configuration, It looks like when it autoconfigures it uses the
VESA driver, which is the fallback for the video chip.

The Intel 915GM supports two separate monitors, the internal one
on the laptop, and an external one through either a 15 pin or an
S-video connection. The internal TFT monitor is capable of a
maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 (which is what I want to use),
and the external is capable of up to 1920 x 1200. The two
sections show up in lspci at PCI:0:2:0 and PCI:0:2:1.

--Richard