usb a scanner and a camera

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 16:58:12 UTC 2005

Well I am no doubt missing something here and after several days I've no more
clues what that might be. Both work in a distro called plinuxos (Mandrake
derivative).

So here we go. Using 2.6.11-rc4. AFAIK udev, deleted /etc/udev and relined,
made no changes to udev.conf and no additions to grubs menu.lst. During boot
it says trying to use udev and creating missing directories in /dev (no
errors shown).

I have deleted /etc/hotplug and relined.

lsub shows both devices;

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:30b1 Canon Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:011b Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub

dmesg and syslog reports changes to usb when they are un/replugged in. gphoto2
shows the camera correctly;

gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:001,004

But I can never get them to show up in /dev so xsane, gphoto2 will never see
them.

What am I missing here?