submission queue management

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jun 9 18:39:42 UTC 2005

Hi devs and interested people,

I've setup a module submission queue for the new submissions in our SVN
trunk. This branch will get very relaxed admission rules and I plan to
allow almost public access to the "/new" directory in there. The idea is
as follows:

- almost anyone can add a module in /new/. These can be updates or new
modules, but no core code or other code. The modules need to be
COMPLETE, so no diffs or partial files (like only DETAILS).

- module submission reviewers can be anyone who has proven to be able to
write working modules and take an interest. These reviewers review the
module and move the module into the /reviewed-once/ directory after it
passes the first review

- a second reviewer moves it to /reviewed-twice/ and thus concludes the
review process. After this the module should be cleaned up and tidy, and
work correctly in all circumstances.

- a developer merges the modules in the /reviewed-twice/ dir into an
appropriate section in moonbase. Most commonly, the developer doesn't
compile or test the module anymore, but just scans and reads the code to
spot problems.

- alternatively, all developers can decide to review modules themselves
or merge them right away from /new/ into /moonbase/ at any time at his
convenience.

Here's a typical reviewers SVN session work:

cd /var/lib/lunar/moonbase/zlocal
svn co https://foo-projects.org/svn/lunar/moonbase/branches/submissions
cd submissions
svn up
cd new/amodule
vi *
lin -c amodule
cd ..
svn move new/amodule reviewed/once
svn ci

By checking out the submission queue in zlocal and using
ZLOCAL_OVERRIDES=on you can put the modules in the queue in action right
away. `lvu where amodule` etc. should work pretty transparently, with
perhaps some sideeffects with DEPENDS, but most of the time this is not
a problem.

Right now we had a few interested people sign up already. They can
retreive a https login by filling in the form at:

http://foo-projects.org/node/3

Please note that you don't need to put in a ssh pubkey for a https login.

sofar