new idea for lunar - auto selecting download mirror using country codes

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Fri Jul 22 20:06:09 UTC 2005

Eric Sandall <eric at sandall.us> pracowicie wystukał(a):
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Zbigniew £uszpiñski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Before I use any big module like firefox, patch it first by inserting in
> > SOURCE_URL[0]= local, huge and fast ftp.icm.edu.pl mirror which is only 6
> > hops from me (it's even closer to me than nearest proxy server!). It's
> > quite boring task to patch modules knowing they will be overwritten every
> > lunar update. So...
> >
> > What do you think about changing enumeration system of source_url to
> > something more faster which allows to use local mirror servers first to
> > speed up transfers?
> >
> > We could use for example international telephone calling codes (those one
> > beginning with plus sign e.g. +48 Poland, +49 Germany +33 France, etc...)
> > Of course without plus in lunar...
> >
> > Or to preserve compability sed links with country code at end .pl e.g. to
> > give to wget only the one in the same or in the neighbour country.
>
> Would the use of netselect[0] be a better idea?
>
> -sandalle

I think this is too complicated. I thought about country based selection only.
This is good trade off between complication/performance.

Maybe make menu so user can choose which server should be tried first?

Or mixing both methods: display only servers in user's country and neighbours
for easy selection.

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski