Module names

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Sat Jul 9 09:19:14 UTC 2005

Dennis Veatch a écrit :
> On Friday 08 July 2005 11:47 am, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Dennis Veatch wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not a lunar dev but have observed the module naming scheme we use
>>>reflects (as closely as possible) the naming scheme used by whom ever
>>>developed the application as far as the name of the source file goes.
>>>
>>>For example R. The source file is R-2.1.1.tar.gz and when extracted is
>>>R-2.1.1. Putting everything in one case would require some additional
>>>manipulation of names that maybe does not need be done with the current
>>>method.
>>
>>Yes, it would require more manipulation in the module (such as
>>renaming the SOURCE to use <lower name> instead of $MODULE), but that
>>(usually) is a one-time deal for the developer, whereas `lin <name>`
>>is done by users/developers all the time, and (IMO) would be more
>>convenient if all of the modules used a consistent naming pattern.
>>
>>Just food for thought,
>>
>>-sandalle
>

> It may be a one time deal for existing modules however, it would need be done
> for any new module added to moonbase. Frankly I don't really see that much of
> a benefit aside from not needing to know if there were mixed case characters
> in a module name. From my user point of view, I do not find it all that
> burdensome.
>
> The Lunar developers already have to mind those tarballs that extract into
> some goofy directory instead of what is expected or the comman naming
> conventions.
>
> Personally I have to side with Terry Chan. Your request would be better
> directed at the code authors.

Searching for some module (to install it, to check if it's installed, ...) would
greatly benefits from a homogenous renaming of all modules. No bother with 2
modules names Git GIT or git. This would force us to name each application with
a distinct name to eliminate confusion.

As I can see in my Debian system (yes I have several Linux running ;)...) all
modules are spelled LOWERCASE ;) and namespace is coherent since module names
are cleaverly choose to reflect the origine name + some info (php4-common,
php4-mysql, openafs-client, openafs-fileserver, ...). Who would say that Debian
is not well driven ??? ;)

IMHO modules we should clean up Moonbase namespace, and write some usefull hooks
to handle correct migration from one step to another.

Since I can speak about that topic: I think, since many months, of a new "hook
system" that would help lunar updates/renew...

Think of a special spool of "update/upgrade" procedures. Downloaded with
Moonbase, it would be installed in /etc/local/hook/{check,migration} and provide:
- handling for renames of modules (deleting the hook when module is finaly
updated to Moonbase state)
- handling for some checks (/etc/init.d/network problem for example: this hook
diff installed file with one provided by Moonbase and inform SysAdm of the
possible upgrade/patch/replacement of the file)
- report some important news in Lunar Shell to prevent some important news not
be red in ML
- etc...

Best regards,
Couannette