Module names

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Fri Jul 8 15:28:08 UTC 2005

Eric Sandall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a thought from an outside observer (feel free to ignore/flame
> ;)): Modules should be named in all lower-case. I've been through this
> before on another list and figured I'd share it with you. ;) The
> reason: simplicity. No longer will users/devs have to remember/lookup
> if it's GIT, Git, or git or perhaps Mozilla or mozilla, R or r, etc.
> They will all be git, mozilla, r, etc.
>
> The bad side of this is renaming old modules, which is not fun (I can
> attest to that ;)). So the best (IMO) path to this is to start by
> requiring new modules to be lower-cased and then rename older modules
> as you have time. This would probably be a good way for people new to
> Lunar to help out (it's relatively simple, gets people familiar with
> how modules look and how they can modify them, etc.).
>
> One issue you'll want to take care if is migration. If you just rename
> R to r (e.g.) then users who had R installed will now still have R
> installed, but no module to update/remove R. One way to do this is
> make R a 'blank' module (does nothing), have it depend on r, and have
> r conflict/remove R once it's installed.
>
> Enjoy! :)
>
> -sandalle

I've thought of that too, and I think removing the case sensitivity for
tab completion and search functions would be best, since no two modules
have the same name, but different case. Many of the modules are given
the mixed case based on the preference of the project (usually), but
that still makes finding modules difficult...so I think the sensitivity
compromise might be best...but not sure what everyone else thinks about
that.

-Striker

--
The system requirements said "Windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux.

Microsoft sells you Windows; Linux gives you the house.

v2sw6CUhw5ln4pr5$FPck4ma6/7u8LFw5TXm5l8O$i5e5+7t4TMNSDRAVXb3HOTen6g8+9ZASHCMPa22s6SMr2p6/7
www.hackerkey.com

Registered Linux User: 332618
<http://striker.interhact.net/striker.asc>