udev bugfix

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Fri Jul 8 08:13:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:31:11PM +0200, Zbigniew ?uszpi?ski wrote:
> 3rd attempt to bugfix:
> Lunar by default install udev-061/etc/udev/udev.rules (as 50 file). How about
> using udev.rules from gentoo subdirectory instead? It contains all commands
> which my patch inserts into config files. And this file is original,
> unmodified, unchanged - provided with every udev release.
Wrong. It installs 49 file. The Makefile by default installs a 50 file. And our
49 file is our own, written by me and florin. We did so because we wanted
something that fitted lunar's needs.

If you don't like it, you can still create your own file [00--48]* file to
override it. That's exactly the point.

> 4th attempt to bugfix:
> Build new lunar udev rules (including inside generic udev.rules) and bypass
> installation of generic udev.rules.
Our rules are run before the generic 50 rules.

> Most code I added to BUILD script is written to reach such effect: place both
> commands in one file (49 or 50, no difference - thus 2 patches to choose) and
> clean up rest. The patches I send are not only tested by me 3x times but also
> stripped and optimized as much as possible. Thanks to this I never published
> broken patch. I do not make patches since yesterday, have some experience and
> know the patch should modify as less as possible. Thus I ask everyone to
> think twice before removing from my patches something more than credits (can
> not get used to this credit removal). I'd rather place credits inside patches
> for testers who can ask questions about code than for fun or pride.
Let's get this straight: you or anybody else has always the credit for their
change in the commit log (see for yourself). When you download moonbase, do you
see any credit for each of the developer's changes? No. You just get moonbase.
End Of Story.

I will not apply directly your patch, and I refuse to explain why again.

> The best thing is to borrow from someone any hotplug device which need
> firmware upload via kernel and test it with lunar. Then you will see why I
> made patches in this way not other.
Florin has a camera that he tested. That was exactly why he did the last commit.

> I understand the need of keeping files original, not changed - especially
> those provided with external software which is not lunar specific. If it
> could be possible to do I would do that. But it doesn't in this case. Sorry.
> Ask udev creators to add hotplugd line at the end of udev.rules or use
> udev.rules from gentoo subdirectory.
Simple and short: no. Explained above.

BTW, I will be away all weekend, so I won't be able to answer mail nor do any
commits.

Ciao,
nestu.