next 2.6 problem - Server refused to allocate pty

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Sat Feb 12 00:53:11 UTC 2005

On 11 Feb 2005 at 22:22, Auke Kok wrote:

> Richard Pyne wrote:
> > linux-2.6 with udev:
> >
> > When trying to ssh in I get "Server refused to allocate pty".
> >
> > I have UnixPTY enabled in the kernel, I have devpts mounted on
> > /dev/pts (I had to manually mkdir /dev/pts).
>
> no idea but if you run the daemon or the client with -v or one of
> the other debugging options, you can probably find out a lot more
> quickly. Try starting the daemon without -D and keeping it in the
> foreground as well, it should prove quite worhtfull.

Just running in debug didn't give a whole lot of useful
information, but the system log did show

[sshd] error: openpty: No such file or directory

Running under strace gave some somewhat helpful information, it
gave a whole series of errors like:

open("/dev/ptya0", O_RDWR) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or
address)
.
.
.
open("/dev/ptyef", O_RDWR) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or
address)

as it tried to open all 256 pty devices.

The puzzling part is that they exist as links into /dev/pty/m0
through /dev/pty/m255 which are all device nodes of major 2
minor 0-255 with permissions crw-rw-rw-

So now I see what is happening, but have no idea whay.

Thanks for your help.

--Richard