ATTENTION all Gnome Users

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Wed Mar 31 20:34:13 GMT 2004

Greetings,

	As some of you may or maynot have heard today was the release of Gnome
2.6.0 Desktop.  With the new version of Gnome the Lunar Dev team has
decited to move the Gnome installation from /opt/lunar/gnome/2.4 back
to /usr.  This will make updates easier in the future and it will stop
some compile and run issues that I have seen in the past with missing
libraries or missing pkconfig files or binding problems like with the
gnome-python module.

	With this update we will have to do one thing that is a bit drastic but
it is the best way I have found to update things without causing any
build problems.  When your 1st module is updated it will completly
remove your /opt/lunar/gnome/2.4 directory from your file system.  Don't
fret, all of the programs will and should be reinstalled back into
the /usr directory once the updates have completed.  If and when
something didnt work correctly all that should be done to correct the
problem is a simple "lin --fix".  I do not plan on updating to Gnome 2.6
for a good week or so.  So if you have any opinions, question,
suggestions, please make them here and now before its to late.  This
should go pretty painless only clevet that I see is that you will
probobly have to shut down X till the updates finish before you can do
anything.  If you leave X up while updating Gnome, things might stop
working and your X server might crash, sop be forwarned on that.

	Like I said before please if you have any question, comments, or
suggestions please speak up now.

Thanks

Nick Hudson