few questions from Lunar-newbie

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Tue Mar 23 23:30:57 GMT 2004

Hi Auke,

thanks 4 replying!

Isn't sofar for Lunar what Olivier is for XFce? I think I came across this
alias a couple of times....

Op Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:54:13 +0100 schreef Auke Kok aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>,Lunar general discussion list <lunar at lunar-linux.org>:

> > I'm setting up one of my servers with Lunar now, just to check out Lunar as a
> > server distro (anybody have any experience with that in an ISP-environment?)
>
> Ik draai lunar lunar bij ESA in noordwijk ;^), not really an ISP
> environment but it's performing backbone functions for the local network
> of the department I work at.

Ah, but you're biased, obviously ;-)
Anyways, you'd be able to answer my forum question then,
which I'll re-ask here if you don't mind:
>>I do have a question though: what kernel should I choose
>>(have choosen) for my (internet-)server if my priorities are:
>>1. stability
>>2. safety
>>3. reliability
>>4. performance
>>I do not like the grsec-kernel, so that one is out!
>>I choose the linux kernel with aggressive patchset,
>>but I wonder if I compromised priorities 1-3 in favor of priority
>>4 that way?
>>Can anybody say something usefull about this?

And in completion of that question:
I like the way I can very easily have the kernel re-compiled with 'lin -c
linux', but what if I wanted my new kernel to exist next to my old kernel, just
to make sure (try it with 'lilo -R nieuwe_kernel' first and all that), is that
possibel as well with the lunar tools or do I have to do that the old fashioned
way? Which is not really more work, it's just easier the lin-way IMHO :-)

> > I have a few questions, which I intended to post on the forum, but I think it's
> > not too busy, since my first question has been viewed once in the past 2 days
> > (and that one is probably me ;-) :

> The forum is kinda low-bandwidth, lots of information there doesn't get
> read, the mailinglist has many more eyes, most subscribed people really
> read them.

But it's not too busy on the list, now, is it?
Probably because of the high quality of the product and the users <bwurk> ;-)

> > Hmmm, weird, yesterday PHP gave me trouble compiling with curl-support, but
> > just now it worked ????
>
> curl isa pain in the ass with the new php, I just had to compile php
> without curl support today to get it working. IOW it's a known problem
> we haven't seen a solution for.

phoei, I thought it was me. Compiled fine with_curl just a few hours ago though
:?

Cheers!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.24 | Gentoo 1.4 | XFce 4.0.3.1 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |