few questions from Lunar-newbie

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Tue Mar 23 19:41:31 GMT 2004

Hello list,

I'm new to this list and new to Lunar, so please correct me if I'm posting
things that shouldn't be posted here.

First of all I'd like to say that I very happy with Lunar :-)
I've used Caldera, SuSE, MDK in the past few years. Mandrake 9.1 gave me that
old Windows feeling (changing things I didn't want changed, most tools not
working from the commandline etc), so I've been seacrching for a fast,
flexible, actively developed and maintained distro ever since.
Tried Gentoo, LFS, SoL and Trustix, but they just weren't "it" for me. After
having fiddled with Lunar for a few days, I'm beginning to think Lunar comes
very close :-))
Everyting works as expected and can be found where I'd expect it and I
especially like the lunar tools (lvu, lin etc) and the fact that the manpages
are actually telling you how things work :-)

I'm setting up one of my servers with Lunar now, just to check out Lunar as a
server distro (anybody have any experience with that in an ISP-environment?)
I have a few questions, which I intended to post on the forum, but I think it's
not too busy, since my first question has been viewed once in the past 2 days
(and that one is probably me ;-) :
http://community.lunar-linux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187

Ok, so now for my real questions, maybe I'll first inform y'all about the box:
Athlon XP CPU

Linux kernel with aggressive patchset (Athlon CPU)

Architecture optimizations according to
http://community.lunar-linux.org/faq/index.php?op=view&t=7

I rebuild the whole system after installation.

Installation/compilation problems:
==================================
Hmmm, weird, yesterday PHP gave me trouble compiling with curl-support, but
just now it worked ????

Anyway, Another thing I had was during the installation of NTP, but all the way
at the end, this is what happens:
[output]
Creating /var/log/lunar/compile/ntp-4.2.0.bz2
Creating /var/log/lunar/install/ntp-4.2.0
Creating /var/log/lunar/md5sum/ntp-4.2.0
Creating /var/cache/lunar/ntp-4.2.0-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
gawk: cmd. line:1: fatal: division by zero attempted
low ping time servers have been added to  /etc/ntp.conf
[/output]

The gawk error get's repeated about 25 times, before the low ping message
appears.
ntp seems to work fine and it's source is deleted from /usr/src , so it's
probably some postinstall thingy, but I just don't like errors and can't make
this one out.Anybody have any ideas?

TIA

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.25 | Lunar 1.4.0 | XFce 4.0.4 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |