X servers for Lunatics

Ranitha ranitha at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 20 13:57:17 GMT 2004

Hi all,
	After a saturday morning (Melbourne time) on #lunar, I gathered that
lunar linux will not be officialy distributing the XFree86 4.4+ servers
due to the recent licence change.

	As far as I can tell two alternatives exist,
- the freedesktop.org xserver, being developed by Keith Packard (which
I'm told is not stable enough for our purposes)
- X.org's free fork of XFree86 4.4.0-rc2 (ie: the last release before
the licence change)

jmhodges informes me that crater has a module for the fd.o xserver but
no module for the X.org server. I'm requesting that the lunar devs look
into this lest we hit a brick wall with regards to future X servers.

Some urls:
- Info on the different x servers hosted at fdo.org
http://fooishbar.org/daniel/blog//tech/x
- info/downloads for the free X.org fork of XFree86
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg

Regards,
	Ranitha

PS: haha I already asked tchan to no avail but I'm lobbying for
anonymous cvs access to the lunar repositories :P (so consider this
email a request for that as well)