dirty udev howto

nestu nestu at lunar-linux.org
Wed Mar 17 21:52:03 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,
I'm going to explain a dirty way on how to get udev running,
step by step:

* Kernel conf : I recommend taking out devfs. You can keep
it if you like, but you must not have automatically mount at
boot ( see Filesystems -> pseudo filesystems ), and you must
add append="devfs=nomount" to lilo.conf ( no idea for grub
users yet ). [ ¿Any gub and udev user that is willing to
feed me back on how to do it? ]

* There are still a couple of problems with boot. A typical
problem is "WARNING: Unable to open an initial console". To
solve this, we need to use temporally (untill this issue is
fixed) a couple of static entries :
	- cd /dev
	- mknod -m 660 console c 5 1
	- mknod -m 660 null c 1 3
will created 2 static entries under /dev. It also seems that
/dev/pts/ and /dev/shm have to be created, so mkdir
/dev/{pts,shm} will do the trick.

* Last of all, and depending on our install, we have to add
the udevstart binary to our boot. udevstart will create some
entries under /dev.

	- If you don't have initscripts module installed, you'll
have to edit /etc/init.d/mount and add
	as last line of the start() function (just under the rm -f
/fastboot /forcefsck line ), like this:

	rm -f /fastboot /forcefsck

	/sbin/udevstart

	- If you do have the initscripts module installed, you can
add this line to /etc/rc.sysinit, nearly 		at the top, just
after the ". /etc/init.d/functions" line, like this:

	. /etc/init.d/functions

	# populate /dev
	/sbin/udevstart

I'm not sure, but sysfsutils seems to be another udev
dependency. If this works for you with and without
sysfsutils installed please reach back and tell me, so I can
add if necessary sysfsutils to udev's DEPENDS. BTW, if you
also notice that an entry should be created, but it isn't
(this is the case of /dev/nvidia* AFAIK, for example) please
tell me aswell; it could be interesting to keep track of
these type of problems.

HTH,
nestu.
  --
Lunar Linux		http://www.lunar-linux.org
XFce Desktop		http://www.xfce.org

QOTD:
<Fuzzbox> "Lunar dev looking for a pretty girl to show her
the stars"

QOT?:
<Veerappan> also, i'm upset.  my roommate's treadmill is too
short.
<Veerappan> another foot, and my bike would fit :)