weekly news - 20040305

maintainer at lunar-linux.org maintainer at lunar-linux.org
Fri Mar 5 11:43:41 GMT 2004

Hi!

Here's the latest weekly news edition!

New lunar ISO in production:

after two months of debugging and testing gcc-3.3.x and an ncurses update
that has been available for 3 weeks or so now we are getting close to
releasing a new ISO. Terry Chan has been working his ends off and produced
3 testisos as of now. The 1.4.0 release will have gcc-3.3.3, a 2.4.25
kernel and ncurses 5.4, including some interesting small fixes and improvements
for the install phase. Watch out for the final 1.4.0 release!

Meanwhile nhudson has come up with a java-enabled oo-src compile, which
is just in time for my 14-node openmosix cluster based on lunar to be
severely tested (yes, a lunar open-mosix cluster!). I'll keep you all
informed where this is going, I might release a set of tools to maintain
a lunar-based cluster centrally.

Nestu and a few others are working on 2.6 and udev, there's quite a
lot of people still using devfs, which is okay but udev promises to be
much nicer ;^). Also submount is available for 2.6 users. hmm, I should
seriously consider switching to 2.6 as well ;^).

Hint-of-the-week:

if you want color man-pages you can use 'lost' as man pager, don't
forget to edit /etc/man.conf and replace the PAGER with /usr/bin/most. You
will also have to remove the '-c' arguments to the nroff/groff calls
just above that in the man.conf file, as these disable color output
explicitly. I suspect it should be possible to have color man-pages with
'less' as well, but hey... more to learn (anyone?)

Meanwhile in #lunar:

<elaine> woo obsd has a pseudo-working smp branch now
* sofar enjoys his color man-pages briefly
<tchan> this vmware is nice.  too much $$$
<Striker> i use vmware
* dlveatch is away: I'm spinning my propeller, wheeee.
<nestu> Tråååååååååååkig !
<Ratler> Can someone ban nestu pls kthx?! ;)
<elaine> I see no gentoo zealots on /. today?
[00:00] <niki> morning ppl

New modules:
  Net-RawSock-1.0 : Net::RawSock provides a base function to send raw IP datagrams from Perl.
  NetPacket-0.03 : NetPacket - Base class for NetPacket::* object hierarchy.
  cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8 : cdparanoia is a cd ripper.
  k3b-0.11.6 : K3b is a KDE frontend to cd recording programs.
  kbiff-3.7 : KBiff is a biff or new mail notification utility.
  kcachegrind-0.4.4 : kcachegrind is an KDE profiling visualisation tool.
  kcmpureftpd-0.9.1 : configuration utility for PureFtpd FTP server
  kdbg-1.2.9 : KDbg is a graphical user interface to gdb.
  konversation-0.13 : konversation is a user friendly IRC Client for KDE.
  krusader-1.30 : KDE Twin-Panel filemanager
  libmodplug-0.7 : libmodplug is a library for decoding .mod audio files.
  mythtv-0.14 : MythTV is a PVR program
  okle-0.4 : KDE frontend for ogle.
  par2cmdline-0.3 : A command line implementation of the PAR v2.0 specification
  perlipq-1.25 : Perlipq is a Perl extension to Linux iptables userspace queueing via libipq.
  pikdev-0.6.3 : PiKdev is a simple graphic IDE for the development of PIC-based applications.
  prism54-cvs-latest : Linux Driver for the 802.11g Prism GT / Prism Duette
/ Prism Indigo Chipsets
  qcad-1.5.4 : A free 2D QT CAD system
  qtella-0.6.4 : Qtella is a gnutella client for qt with KDE support.
  quanta3-3.2.0 : quanta plus html editor.
  synergy-1.0.14 : lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers
  tar-1.13.93 :
  xfce4-weather-plugin-0.3.0 : Weather plugin for XFce 4

New versions:
  ImageMagick: 5.5.7-16 -> 5.5.7-17
  abiword: 2.0.3 -> 2.0.4
  alsa-driver: 1.0.2c -> 1.0.3
  alsa-lib: 1.0.2 -> 1.0.3
  alsa-utils: 1.0.2 -> 1.0.3
  arch: 1.1 -> 1.2
  distcc: 2.12.1 -> 2.13
  e2fsprogs: 1.34 -> 1.35
  edict: 1.1 -> 1.2
  esound: 0.2.32 -> 0.2.33
  fvwm: 2.4.4 -> 2.4.17
  gcl: 2.5.2 -> 2.5.3
  glame: 0.6.3 -> 1.0.2
  gqmpeg: 0.16.0 -> 0.20.0
  graphviz: 1.10 -> 1.11
  kernel-headers-2.6: 2.6.2.0 -> 2.6.3.0
  linux: 2.4.24 -> 2.4.25
  linux-beta: 2.6.3 -> 2.6.4-rc2
  linux-beta-mm: 2.6.3-mm4 -> 2.6.4-rc1-mm2
  linux-grsec: 2.4.24 -> 2.4.25
  modplugxmms: 2.02 -> 2.05
  ntfsprogs: 1.8.4 -> 1.8.5
  ntop: 2.1.3 -> 2.2c