weekly news - 20040604 - part 2

maintainer at lunar-linux.org maintainer at lunar-linux.org
Fri Jun 4 14:31:41 GMT 2004

[ I just barely missed the weekly release - here's the rest of the scoop ]

Good afternoon everyone!

More and more people are showing interest in the 2.6 kernel and gcc-3.4.0,
as these have already been released quite a while ago already again. Perhaps
it has been unexplained why lunar doesn't use them as default (yet!).

The main reason is that there is an enormous discrepancy between the
'big 3' projects (kernel, gcc, glibc). None of these 3 projects work
on the same terms and they nearly all refuse to work by the same playing
rules. For instance: the official recommended gcc compiler for the 2.4
kernel is still 2.95 (read the kernel documentation).

Big thresholds that need to be worked out right now to get these 3
projects to work together is in the kernel-headers (many applications
do not compile against the default 2.6 headers) and glibc (which gcc-3.4.0
does not want to compile right now). This pretty much makes it impossible
to provide these to all lunar users without taking huge risks, and running
a system on a cvs-glibc can be considered too volatile for the time being.

That said we're actively working on working out proper solutions as far
as we can. The special kernel-headers-2.6 module is a big aid for those
testing 2.6 kernels. Hopefully we can work on glibc and migrate gcc up
to 3.4.0 soon. Until then you'll have to try yourself or join the patient
crowd ;^).

/sofar

meanwhile in #lunar:

nestu> are you serious? You know who are talking to, don't you? Jesus, It's me... I mean, of course I do NOT have anything meaningful to say...