DB4

Paul Querna chip at force-elite.com
Wed Jul 28 01:21:10 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 23:31 +0300, Florin Braescu wrote:
> Pe data de Mar 27 Iul 2004 23:08, Dave Brown a scris:
> > How come db4 is 4.1.25 instead of (according to the DETAILS file, the
> > commented-out) 4.2.52?  Does 4.2.x break stuff?  Apparently using db4
> > 4.1.x can cause problems with subversion.
> >

> Hi Dave,
>
>   There was at least one or two attempts to use the db4 4.2.52 into the
> moonbase. The problem is that the java part creates problems. Unfortunatelly
> the openldap module too can't be updated because the new version require db4
> 4.2.52 version.

Another reason you cannot easily upgrade it is that existing databases
must be dumped *before* you upgrade, and then imported after upgrading.
The on-disk structures are not compatible.  Any attempt to upgrade to
db4.2 could screw over many users who could have db4.1 databases all
over their disc in random places that we do not know about.

I have been running my own machine w/ DB4.2 in zlocal for a couple
months now without any problems.  Works great with subversion.

-chipig