Epiphany Can't Be Used Now

Carl R. Powers powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil
Thu Jan 22 17:23:55 GMT 2004

Nick Hudson wrote:

> Do what it says ... run "bonobo-slay"  Now I wouldnt suggest running
> that while you have a window manager open.  Log out and go to a
> console and as user run bonobo-slay.  Make sure there are no other
> bonobo processes running in the background by using "ps aux".  If you
> find that there are some still running kil them off one by one, but
> once you run bonobo-slay it "salys" every bonobo process.  Log back in
> and epiphany should work.  I have it running at work and at home with
> mozilla 1.6.
>
> HTH
>
> Nick
>
> Carl R. Powers wrote:
>
>> Updated mozilla to 1.6, epiphany to 1.07, both installed without error.
>> Also updated libbonobo & libbonoboui.
>>
>> Mozilla works fine.
>>
>> Epiphany won't run, pops up the following error:
>>
>> "Epiphany can't be used now.  Running the command "bonobo-slay"
>> from the console may fix the problem.  If not, you can try rebooting
>> the computer or reinstalling Epiphany again.
>>
>> Bonobo couldn't locate the Gnome_Epiphany_Automation.
>> .server."
>>
>> Tried all the suggested fixes without any change in results.
>> Any ideas as to what's going on?
>>
>> Carl Powers
>> <powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil><powers at copper.net>

Sorry - didn't help.  I think I've tried about every combination possible -
killing it as user and root, from within X and from console login, logged
in to X and not logged in, with X started and not.  Bonobo-slay run as
user did not kill the only bonobo process running, which was the activation-
server.   Had to kill that manually.  Epiphany version 1.0.6 used to
work for
me.  Guess I'll just uninstall 1.0.7 and wait for the next release.   Thanks
anyway.

Carl R. Powers
<powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil><powers at copper.net>