Was: sylpheed strange behaviour - .Xdefaults skel file?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Feb 29 22:32:05 GMT 2004

Mike Mandel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> That was my problem.
> My xterm looks now much better :-)
> And it works.
> I think that more users have problems like this, so it will
> be great if you could put this to FAQ.

on the other hand, I would really like to add the following lines to
/etc/skel/.Xdefaults:

XTerm*geometry: 80x34
XTerm*font: fixed
XTerm*termName: xterm-color
XTerm*saveLines: 2000
XTerm*scrollBar_right: true
XTerm*reverseVideo: false
XTerm*loginShell: true
XTerm*background: black
XTerm*foreground: gray

Rxvt*geometry: 80x34
Rxvt*font: fixed
Rxvt*termName: xterm-color
Rxvt*saveLines: 2000
Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
Rxvt*reverseVideo: false
Rxvt*loginShell: true
Rxvt*background: black
Rxvt*foreground: gray

aterm*geometry: 80x34
aterm*font: fixed
aterm*termName: xterm-color
aterm*saveLines: 2000
aterm*loginShell: true
aterm*scrollBar: true
aterm*scrollBar_right: true
aterm*background: black
aterm*foreground: gray

perhaps entries for gnome-terminal and konsole (do they use xresources?)
. My main motivation for using this setup is that the given size, font
and colours are as far as I know much more easy on the eyes when it
comes to readability and strain on your cones etc. I refuse to work on
black-on-white on xterms and hope everyone realises that.

that said we could at least provide a .Xdefaults file and xsession
startup script that sets loginShell: true for all terminal types (I
forgot Eterm of course in the above list) so we really help our users
getting rid of these insane defaults that date back from when I was
wearing diapers (I think).

sofar