ssh and then su to root

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 14:38:31 GMT 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 02:36 pm, nestu wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > I ssh as a normal user from "sidney" to "pcserver", that part is normal.
> >
> > I then as a normal user on "pcserver" su to root and this pops up before
> > asking for roots password;
> >
> > configuration error - unknown item 'DIALUPS_CHECK_ENAB' (notify
> > administrator)
> >
> > Not sure what that means.
>
> Hello Dennis,
> it is a change in /etc/login.def:
>
> bash-2.05b# grep DIALUP /etc/login.defs
> DIALUPS_CHECK_ENAB      yes
>
> I had a look at the shadow module, and it installs a new
> /etc/login.def if it is not already there (from BUILD):
>    [  -e  /etc/login.defs       ]  ||  cp  login.defs.linux
>   /etc/login.defs
>
> Just unpack the source, and copy the login.defs.linux, and
> all should be fine.

Ok, just needed to know where it was coming from. I just changed it to "no".

Thanks
--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."