update and valgrind

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Aug 2 21:19:18 GMT 2004

Florin Braescu wrote:

>>Tried to remove the valgrind module but says it is not installed.
>>

>  I can confirm that bug. It is related to the libpthread library and valgrind
>but i haven't found yet the cause or a solution to that.

I suspect that /usr/lib/valgrind is either in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or (even
worse) in /etc/ld.so.conf... if that's the case then applications are
COMPILED against a valgrind libpthread... that's obviously A BAD THING
(TM) and will "kill your box" (--sofar, unknown). In any case it is
confirmed positive true that your coreutils was compiled against the
installed valgrind libs (otherwise date would not fail to load in memory).

removing libpthread on any system kills all the libraries that are
compiled against it. If you have a custom libpthread against which apps
are compiled and remove it (lin valgrind... during the upgrade the
libpthread from valgrind is removed) even though you have the proper
glibc present kills it... valgrind provides extra symbols and any app
compiled to the valgrind version of libpthread will miss then (hence
your error messages!).

fix: get a libpthread.so from a valgrind compile cache and make sure
it's path is neither in LD_XXX vars or in /etc/ld.so.conf, recompile any
apps linked against valgrind and confirm they do not link against the
valgrind versions... (might not work if the glibc pthread libs are also
broken)

sofar