Error activating XKB configuration

Carl R. Powers powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil
Fri Apr 16 16:49:18 GMT 2004

Upgraded two lunar 1.4.0 systems to Gnome 2.6
Upgraded one to XOrg, other one is still using xfree86-beta.

Upon logging in, now get the same error dialog box on both
systems, to whit:

"Error activating XKB configuration.  Probably internal
xserver problem",

along with suggestion to run a couple of test commands,
as follows:

roott at Lunar ~ # xprop -root |grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc101", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc101", "us", "", ""

root at Lunar ~ # gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
 layouts = [us]
  model = pc105
   overrideSettings = false
    options = []

Installations looks OK to me, xkb/rules/ is right where it belongs,
problem did not exist before the Gnome update, so I'm guessing it's
a Gnome, probably gnome-sessions, problem.

Any ideas, fixes?

Carl Powers
<powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil>