restarting network looses gateway

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Tue Apr 6 17:11:49 GMT 2004

Hi All,

restarting my networkdevices through '/etc/init.d/network restart' looses my
gateway, even if I don't change anything within the networksettings.

before restarting everything is fine ('route -n' shows the correct routing) and
after the network restart everything is fine as well, except for the gateway,
which has vanished completely. The only remedy then is the remote powerswitch,
since this is a remote server.

First I thought this behaviour was caused by the fact that I restarted the
network over the network, although other distro's don't mind that, but
restarting from the console gets rid of the gateway also.

I haven't modified /etc/init.d/network

I this a common thing or is it my wrongdoing?

TIA!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.25 | Lunar 1.4.0 | XFce 4.0.4 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |