Floppy Disk Formatting (USB Floppy) Problems.......

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Tue Sep 2 11:08:02 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have a laptop that has a usb floppy and I am having troubles formatting
floppy's.  I have dosfstools installed and the device is at /dev/sda. When I
try to use "KFloppy Formatter" it is looking for /dev/fd0u1440, so I created
a sym link "ln -s /dev/sda /dev/fd0u1440" but I get this error message:
"Cannot access /dev/fd0u1440
Make sure that the device exists and that you have write permission to it."

How can i get this to work?

Also when I try to use the command line I get this message:
root at Lunar /dev # mkdosfs /dev/sda
mkdosfs 2.9 (15 May 2003)
mkdosfs: Will not try to make filesystem on '/dev/sda'
root at Lunar

So any help getting my system to format a floppy would be great.

Thanks.

Ralph