tftp

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Mon Nov 17 05:34:58 GMT 2003

Hi,

for everyone that want to boot from network ....

I wanted to boot my 'gimli' EPIA-machine that uses the PXE protocol
(network boot) and I set up DHCPd. Beware: dhcpd.conf is painfull !!!

I installed and setup netkit-tftp: it is not recommended because PXE and
this TFTP can't agree on file size... The prefered server is tftp-hpa
from kernel.org.

Then I make a module for my Lunar for the tftp-hpa package (module
attached). This server works perfectly with PXE.

Be sure to launch in.tftpd with 'chroot' option (-s) and some root
access for testing:

in.tftpd -l -s -u root /tftpboot -p -v -v -v

and in xinetd.d/tftp:

service tftp
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -l -s -u tftp /var/tftpboot -v -v -v
        log_type                = FILE /var/log/xinetd/tftp
        log_on_success          = PID HOST USERID EXIT DURATION
        log_on_failure          = USERID ATTEMPT
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no
        only_from               = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
}

That's it.

I put a kernel in my /var/tftpboot and pxelinux.0 and my little
workstation booted :-D !

Anyone interested ? Any improvement  ?

Couannette