NVIDIA, xfree86 4.3.0 and kernel-2.6.0-test9......

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Tue Nov 11 16:13:31 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to test the 2.6.0-test9 kernel on my laptop and I'm having
problems with X.
I have the nvidia kernel module patched with the patch from www.minion.de,
compiled and installed with the 2.6.0-test9 kernel. lsmod shows the nvidia
module loaded, but when I try to startx I get:
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

I tried to copy the module (/lib/modules/2.6.0-beta-test9/kernel/drivers/
video/nvidia.ko) to (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/nvidia.ko) so that X could find
it, but it still complains.

However if I include the entire path to the module and the fullname of
the module it complanes that the module is an "Invalid type"??

Do I need a patch to make it so xfree can recognise the new modules (.ko
modules)?

When I am trying to startx I am in (init 5). The nv driver does work, but I
can't really test KDE or games with that driver.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ralph