coreutils 5.0 install hang

Simon Brenner simon.brenner at home.se
Wed Nov 5 15:22:21 GMT 2003

when doing a lin coreutils (or lunar renew - problem seems unrelated to
how the installation is started), the configure script hangs at the
getcwd tests.. If I leave the installation running for a few minutes and
then hit Ctrl-C (or kill the conftest process), I get some error
messages about "Could not delete ...: No space left on device" (seems
that tmpfs is a little crooked in some places..), and watching df when
the installation is still running I could see that all the 256meg quota
for /tmp is filled, by a 256meg installwatch log.

I inspected the tail of the installwatch log, and it seems that the test
program has gotten stuck in a loop trying to rmdir(..) folders. The test
program creates lots and lots of nested subdirectories named confdir3,
to test the behaviour of getcwd, then backs out and rmdirs each
subfolder one after one: /usr/src/coreutils/confdir3/confdir3/.....,
/usr/src/corutils/confdir3, /usr/src/confdir3, /usr/confdir3, /confdir3,
and it seems to get stuck on that last folder, trying to delete it over
and over...