lunar journal [2] - 16th may 2003

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Fri May 16 17:52:16 GMT 2003

Hi everyone!

In between packing my bags and moving out I found a few moments to
report on this weeks lunar happenings. My bags are crammed up with
clothes since tomorrow morning I'll fly out to London and on to the US,
where I'll spend 2 weeks of my badly needed vacation. That means I'm not
gonna be around all the time to help out with problems. I'll return on
the 1st of June, and I'll try to read e-mail as much as possible.

Big hit this week was gcc-3.3 of course. Almost all devs are now trying
it out but it hit a few snags. The big two already give problems and
need to be patched. Glibc turned out to be a simple patch, and we all
wonder why it was never earlier spotted. The kernel (2.4.20) however is
a bigger mess, and the guys from SourceMage also reported heavy
casualties.

All in all it will be a while before gcc-3.3 hits moonbase. Those
interested can try to lin it themselvesby bumping the version number,
the glibc patch needed is already in moonbase.

We had few updates in moonbase, the biggest one was gnucash, which took
me while because I spent my evenings on other stuff a bit (we're finally
getting curtains), and the cats needed attention. ImageMagick finally
released a new version after 2 months of silence (whatever happens to
OpenSource when devs take vacation!?)

I'm a bit weary of lilo since 22.5 scared the shit out of a few people
because of a broken vesa routine. Perhaps the newer versions are more
stable, I'd really like people to give it a try and report back in.
Looking on distrowatch you can see the other distro's are having doubts
about lilo too, since they are behind as well.

Rick made some fixes to the net-tools scripts and tweaked some PPC
stuff, such as yaboot. Also florin bumped asc, sudo. Jol fixed kile and
Twisted, and some doc stuff that I didn't even know about. Jasper has
been coding on xfce4 and fixed the -cvs modules installing the entire
module/doc dir into /usr/share/doc. BTW the theme stuff is now in
xfce4-extras-cvs, along some nice goodies. Nick also made galeon compile
against mozilla-1.3.1! more... more... more...

I've been looking a bit into the FAQ and edited stuff in it, there
should be some more up-to-date info in there, especially on the whole
gettext episode.

well, that's it for now. I'm off! seeya in 2 weeks!

sofar

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>