host command

Claus Helbing claus.helbing at descom-consulting.ch
Thu May 8 16:17:47 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I am quite puzzeld not to find the "host" command on my lunar installation.
The seems to be a similar command in the adns package but I would like to avoid
installing another package just to get a standard command.

Any ideas ?

Thank you very much,
Claus

/usr/bin/host
Usage: host [-aCdlrTwv] [-c class] [-n] [-N ndots] [-t type] [-W time]
            [-R number] hostname [server]
       -a is equivalent to -v -t *
       -c specifies query class for non-IN data
       -C compares SOA records on authoritative nameservers
       -d is equivalent to -v
       -l lists all hosts in a domain, using AXFR
       -n Use the nibble form of IPv6 reverse lookup
       -N changes the number of dots allowed before root lookup is done
       -r disables recursive processing
       -R specifies number of retries for UDP packets
       -t specifies the query type
       -T enables TCP/IP mode
       -v enables verbose output
       -w specifies to wait forever for a reply
       -W specifies how long to wait for a reply