.bash_profile not being read during user login??

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Mon Jun 9 22:39:13 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 22:28, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I posted a message about qtella earlier and I now found that the file
> .bash_profile is not being read during user login. Even if I change
> .bash_profile to just two lines:
> PATH=$PATH:/opt/lunar/kde/3/bin
> export PATH
>
> after login my path is still:
> /usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin
>
> if I issue: PATH=$PATH:/opt/lunar/kde/3/bin
>
> at the command line it changes the path to
> /usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/lunar/kde/3/bin
> as it should.
>
> Anyone know what's hapening or how to fix this?

your shell is not being started as a LOGIN shell (or interactive shell)
or your terminal refuses to behave like an intelligent one (ohhh gee,
perhaps it's not a human typing commands in my client area).

bash shells should be started up as interactive shells, e.g. with the
-ls option. Otherwise your terminal should be notified of this.

ref: read "man bash"

sofar

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>