lunar journal [4] - 23rd july 2003

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Jul 23 22:35:01 GMT 2003

hey folks!

it's been quite a while since I took some time to roll up some data and
presented to you in a readable way. Well, that is, if you consider my
little rants readable ;^). Things have been uber-busy and my attention
has been pulled in too many directions. Two little kitties take up my
attention now besides Tau and lunar. Sometimes I have to fight over my
laptop!

On the more serious side, there have been some major changes that did
not receive enough attention prolly. We set up the CVS server a bit
differently, there are a few new devs, we set up some new projects and
then the usual updates all took quite some effort.

Biggest effort was more than 2 weeks ago when we tried to get ready for
a new ISO release. Unfortunately at the last moment we discovered
gcc-3.3 and linux-2.4.21 aren't really a good combination. Although we
spent a week redoing moonbase we decided not to bring out a new ISO
until those two decide to come to a truce and play happy together. My
guess is that it will take 2.4.22 to fix all, unfortunately.

We had quite some updates in the last month... the announce bot caught
over 40 of them, which is quite a lot. Gnome2 was almost completely
redone too, as well as xfce4, which is getting ready for it's final
release (go xfce!). The rc2 is in moonbase already, people who want the
stable version of xfce should definitely check it out...

Dev team got a nice addition of a few extra people. We're happy to see
nestu and Moe on board who will be doing module work and helping out
with the kernel as needed. Ratler and jbrocklin will pilot a GUI
project, mostly experimental but the goals are set high of course. Then
Drew and a few others have volunteered to set us up with some manuals
and docs in order to finally fill this shrinking gap in lunar. Together
with all these people we should be able to come up with something nice!
Welcome aboard everyone!

We're doing a bit of reorganisation because of all the new devs. E-mail
addresses for all the devs now is @lunar-linux.org. This allows us to
track and message a bit more easy now and finding an e-mail addy is
easier. Maybe some devs will have to set up .forwarding for this. In
case you have any e-mail problems regarding the ML let me (sofar) know.

almost forgot, there's been some major core stuff going on in theedge.
As of now it all looks good but there are some slight (not harmful)
problems. Everyone is welcome to help track all the bugs down and report
them. Join #Lunar on irc.freenode.net, we're almost always with 25
people around there...drop by!

that's it for now... see y'all later

sofar

--