fresh mouse-X install

Ray Maung ray_maung at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 11:34:41 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I just did a fresh install with mouse-X and the
requisite lunar update. I ran into a few problems and
also noted some minor problems.

First, the minor problems. I noticed that lin couldn't
find ps, and that top wasn't even installed! My point
is: shouldn't the lunar module have a required depends
on the procps module if lin uses it?

Another question: is it reasonable to have /var/lock
and /var/run in tmpfs? From my (incredibly
limited)understanding, tmpfs uses RAM, and having
these two there would only make sense if they're
accessed quite frequently (maybe device contention in
/var/lock?), otherwise it's 10 megs of wasted RAM.

Now the biggies. Even with gcc-3.2.3, glibc-2.3.2, and
a rebuilt system, I still run into that pentium4
problem with xfree86 (I tried "-03 -march=pentium4
-mcpu=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll loops
-fstrict-aliasing -fforce-adr -foptimize-siblings
-mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=387,sse"). I'm pretty sure
I was able to compile xfree86 this way before, anyone
have any ideas?

I also noticed gcc-3.3 is out and supposedly fixes the
sse2/pentium4 problem. Is gcc-3.3 a usable release,
and if so, should it be in the moonbase? The only
reason for this is that if Intel's hype is right, sse2
is what gives the pentium4 some decent floating-point
punch (at least for x86's), since I've heard it's 387
ain't too hot.