Optimizations

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Thu Jan 30 20:13:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 19:32, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> So, is the consensus that I need to turn off -march=pentium4 and --strip?
> Or that I should use the pre-gcc 3.2 architecture names?

concensus I do not know, but when I ship out a production machine I want
everything to recompile overnight, so those boxes go out as i686 instead
of pentium4 with this version of gcc, because otherwise too many apps do
not compile.

however, if you run a non-x server you might be happier with pemtium4,
-O3 and even speedy and strip.

it's just not so simple to say what is safe or not!

sofar
--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>