extraversion with lin?

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Sat Jan 25 23:05:00 GMT 2003

Todd,

Using "lin" to build your default kernel is fine and the standard lunar method.

However for multiple kernels you are on your own.  Do NOT try to use lin to
build multiple kernels.

Instead since the kernel source is left in /usr/src/linux, simple go to that
directory and then run "make menuconfig" (or make xconfig, if you have xfree86
installed and you like xconfig more).  Choose your alternate config options
and then follow the normal DIY kernel building steps.  Save your config file
changes and then run:

make dep && make bzImage

After the kernel compiles correctly for you then do:

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinubz-2.4.20-yourkernelnamehere

Edit your lilo.conf and rerun lilo to add your alternate kernel(s).  Or edit
your /boot/menu.lst if using GRUB.

If your alternate kernel has different modules than your main kernel you will
have to do "make modules && make modules_install" after the make bzImage.

Terry Chan