hdparm settings??

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Fri Feb 28 20:33:57 GMT 2003

Kenny,

I am sorry to see that you are unable to send e-mail because your smtp
host wrongly identifies itself as a host that cannot be contacted by the
outside, and therefore cannot send mail to certain servers.

I am sure you are aware that running a public machine like
lunar-linux.org requires one to tighten up mail-security to prevent mass
abuse. In order to protect the mailboxes and mailinglists from spam, the
mailserver on lunar-linux.org requires any machine trying to deliver
mail there to properly identify itself.

Due to an unfortunate incident or possibly mal-configuration, DNS is not
working for the host that delivers your mail to lunar-linux. This could
be a problem on the lunar-linux server, but I can confirm this is not
the case, and the problem must therefore be searched in your DNS
provider, that should provide DNS for your SMTP-server.

In case your DNS-provider does not do that, you should use a SMTP-server
of your ISP, preferably one that has the proper DNS records registered.

It is not possible to remove these protections on our e-mail server.
Experience shows that relaying is one of the worst origins of spam and
we will not accept any e-mail that does not confirm to the basic set of
RFC's required for MTA's.

Pleas note that any mailserver that DOES accept mail from that host
therefore is severely flawed and possibly can be abused massively as
soon as some spammer finds this out.

It is your task to insure your system administrator is aware of the
situation and he should assist you in solving your problem to send
e-mail.

Please note there has been no change in the relaying policies of
lunar-linux.org since several weeks.

I am sorry to hear this problem has become of such a frustration to you.

====
Feb 28 15:45:01 dbguin postfix/smtpd[16649]: 0451F5EB9CA: reject: RCPT
from cdrobot.com[65.70.252.73]: 554 <mainsrv.cdrobot.com>: Helo command
rejected: Host not found; from=<Kennymann at cdrobot.com>
to=<lunar at lunar-linux.org> proto=ESMTP helo=<mainsrv.cdrobot.com>
====

sofar