Automounting?

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Fri Feb 28 18:52:45 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 18:01, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> I know I have asked this before but I am still not able to put in a cd
> then open Konqueror and click on /mnt/cdrom and read the contents
> without issueing a mount /mnt/cdrom at the command line.
>
> What I have done so far:
> I found that I did not have autofs compiled into the kernel. (Recompiled
> the kernel with autofs and autofs4 support)
>
> This is the line in my fstab:
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto
> ro,noauto,user,exec,iocharset=iso8859,codepage=850 0 0

here is your mistake:

* the first auto is the filesystem, which is usually iso9660 but with
dvd's and such auto works fine here.

* the next list shows 'noauto' as an option. This *DISABLES*
automounting COMPLETELY for this device, even tho the kernel etc.
supports it.

solution: change the 'noauto' into 'auto'

docs: man mount (very extensive and shows all the fstab do's and dont's)

g'luck!

sofar

> And I have this option in lilo.conf (MBR).
> append = "devfs=nomount ide-scsi=/dev/hdc"

BTW this is not important to automounting, this is only needed for IDE
cd writers to enable writing. (needs scsi-emulation then)

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>