keyboard question

Gijsbert Stoet stoet at volition.wustl.edu
Sat Feb 22 10:54:15 GMT 2003

In some applications (e.g. emacs) you have the option to use
key presses like SHIFT+ALT+">" on a US keyboard (this brings you to the
end of document). If I sit at my lunar-linux computer, this does not
work, even though if I use my lunar computer remotely it works
fine. This problem is independent of X-windows, because it happens
both for working under X or just in text mode. It seems a simple
config issue, but I don't know where to start. Can anybody help with
this?

Another issue does not really belong in this group, I know. So ignore
it if you don't know the answer and answer if you have quick solution:
Using gnome-login manager (on lunar) "gdm" does not let me login
nis-accounts (even though text mode logins work fine). I found exactly
this question several times in other (gnome) newsgroups, however
without answers! So it is not lunar specific! Again, I know that this
question does not belong in this group, but since I was already
writing, I thought, why not ask this bunch of knowledgeable linux gurus
:D

Thanks a lot.

Gijsbert