Aggressive Kernel

Rick Altherr kc8apf at kc8apf.net
Tue Feb 18 21:07:53 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 08:37 pm, Keith Adney wrote:
> Well, yes, since at this point I'm booting via CD. I'm
> still trying to figure out how to get the Lunar LILO and
> the Mandrake LILO integrated. It doesn't seem to be
> working properly on its own, but I considered this a
> minor problem at this point, since I can boot from CD
> w/no problem.

Well, that would be a rather important note.  The kernel on the CD is built
with the aggressive patch.  Even though you are boot with the root set to the
hard drive, the kernel on the CD is used.  So, what's happening is that you
built a kernel on the hard drive, but aren't using it.  When you go to build
a module for your NIC, it sees that you are running an aggressive kernel
currently and refuses to run the non-aggressive module you built.

You're gonna need to figure out LILO and boot directly off the hard drive
before this will work properly.

Rick