gnome-terminal segfaulting

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Sat Feb 15 02:14:37 GMT 2003

It seems that this is a known problem in gnome bugzilla.  The problem according
to gnome bugzilla is that gnome-terminal will segfault immediately if its
linked incorrectly to libXft.so.1 AND libXft.so.2.

With the current setup of libXft.so.1 in /usr/X11R6/lib and libXft.so.2 in
/opt/lunar/Xft/lib, when gnome-terminal is being compiled/linked it will
try to include BOTH versions of libXft.

As a test I simply removed libXft.so.* from /usr/X11R6/lib and then recompiled
gnome-terminal.  It then, of course, only showed libXft.so.2 in
"ldd gnome-terminal" and when run it worked like a champ -- no more segfaulting.

I then put libXft.so.* back into /usr/X11R6/lib and all was well.

nhudson will have to take a look at this and try to figure out how to fix this
problem.

Terry Chan