New versions for some programs

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Tue Feb 11 09:27:23 GMT 2003

Florin,

I did take a look at dialog-0.9b-20030130, when you first proposed it
to the mailing list and I posted an email reply to the rest of the lunar devs,
but I didn't send it to the regular mailing list.

We will NOT be upgrading to dialog-0.9b-20030130, because while it does
compile okay, it does not behave identically to the older version of dialog
that is currently in moonbase.  If you run the "lunar" program and bring up
some of the dialog generated selection boxes, you'll see that the new dialog
you are using is truncating text on the right hand side.

This is due to a change in the auto-size calculations/routines that dialog is
using.  To switch now would require one of the lunar devs to go through all
the lunar core tools and fix every occurrence of dialog being invoked.

Eventually we should probably switch over, but until all the occurrences of
dialog are fixed for the new math calculations, it will be a rather large task
to convert for the small bug-fixes/enhancements in the newer dialog.

On grep, that should be in moonbase shortly.  We just can't version bump it so
randomly as grep does need to be tested a bit, especially since its used all
over the Lunar core toolset.

Terry Chan