Minor speed tweak tip

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Tue Feb 11 01:39:18 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 01:16, Shern, Benjamin J wrote:
> I definitely agree that this is not useful for lots of (most?) people and
> probably not worthy of any special tuning parameters.
>
> One of the problems is that my results are empirical and the actual
> explanation of the speed difference is not known for sure.
>
> I'm wondering if some or all of the timing differences I saw can be
> attributed to the fact that my tmpfs has ~1,000 inodes and my root fs has
> ~200,000 inodes...
>
> Regarding swapping the entire ramfs; I have yet to see my system really
> thrash even under heavy load.  I  believe the linux MM has undergone a lot
> of improvements in the 2.4+ kernels.

trust me, I'm on 128M (minus 8-shared vidmem) and when I run X, mozilla
(hey, come on!), evolution (gotta red mail) and lin eog  is running,
when I click on reply to your msg I'm already 15 seconds further before
I can type (and this is a P3-933).

a cvs -qz3 up -PAd in my cvs/lunar dir will certainly stop pretty much
all the fun here for a while, I assure you.

Now, I am the spoiled type of course, but swap is my biggest drama right
now. I wish I could live without it!!!

sofar

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>